Sunday 31 October 2010

Just the way it goes

So what happened in the wonderful world of mine this week, well off the subject of food I said goodbye to a good mate whose off home to marry the love of his life and enjoy the weather in sunny south Africa (good luck mate have a great wedding, me and lizzie will miss u both). Right on to the part of my life that I’m meant to be blogging about.

We have had the busiest week restaurant wise at the hotel since I started which is a massive plus, food went down well and sold a good few specials which is really cool. Using the specials a way of trying out new ideas for the ala carte menu has worked out really well. I had some amazing halibut steaks delivered for the weekend and they were so good I’m thinking about putting them on the next menu. Decided that was going to do a simple pan roasted halibut steak, buttered new potatoes & sauce vierge very very simple but when the fish is that good why hide it behind some elaborate garnish.

Thinking about going into London this week for some lunch somewhere but cant decide if it should be the Ledbury or Hibiscus, but knowing me as I’m will be going solo (missus will be working) it will probably be Arbutus the best value Michelin starred restaurant in London. If anyone has any ideas you can send me a message on twitter @chefaj82.

Right time for a recipe and its going to be Sauce vierge as its a sauce that not many home cooks will know but is a really nice sauce to use on grilled or roasted fish.

SAUCE VIERGE
100ml good virgin olive oil, I’ve been using extra virgin English rapeseed oil which I love but up to you
2 plum tomatoes (peeled, seeded & chopped)
1 tsp shredded basil
1tsp chopped tarragon
Maldon sea salt
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbs red wine vinegar
Black pepper

Mix the tomato, salt, herbs & pepper and let sit for 15 minutes to infuse flavours into the tomato, and then add the lemon juice add vinegar. Give it a good mix and the slowly incorporate the oil.
Don’t serve this sauce to cold or the oil is to thick and the flavours dull.

I hope a few of you try this it think that you will be really pleased with the results.
Right next update in the near future having had a nice lunch somewhere up town, review and pictures to follow.

But remember live to eat don’t eat to live

No comments:

Post a Comment