Wednesday 6 March 2013

Im Back



Hello everyone, well it’s been nearly 6 months since I posted on here and what a hectic 6 months it has been. At work we have been getting busier and busier whilst trying to push the food offering forward, to help this and to give me a bit more freedom we have stated to do one of tasting menu events. The last one was my take on burns night which went down a treat with our guests and a really good night was had by all involved. 

What else is there to say, not a lot really the team and I are knocking out great food in my opinion and are pushing to make us the place to eat in Weybridge. I am writing this as I take a break from writing the menu changes for the coming weeks with spring just around the corner we are already seeing wild garlic and there are lots more exciting produce just round the corner. I am looking forward to getting my hands on some local asparagus again this year from either Crockford bridge farm (http://www.crockfordbridgefarm.co.uk) or Garson’s Farm (http://www.garsons.co.uk/c/esher-farm-shop/) last year we got some cracking vegetables from both and the selection in both shops is great.

Last year we served our asparagus very simply, we blanched it for 1 minute in heavily salted water then refreshed in plenty of iced water to retain its brilliant green colour and fresh flavour. It was then chargrilled and served with a poached duck egg, wild garlic oil and shaved Cornish yarg a really good spring starter that went down well with our guests. We will be bringing that back this year but are currently working on some tweaks for it.

Whilst being busy at work  I have still found time to eat out at a few places most notably I have been back to Michael Wignall at The Latymer, Pennyhill park (http://www.pennyhillpark.co.uk/EXCLUSIVE_HOTELS/eating_and_drinking/the_latymer.aspx) . I said when I first went that it deserved 2 stars in my opinion and since that post it has been awarded its second star so massive congratulations to Michael and his team. That meant that I had to go back and eat again, it did not disappoint the meal was flawless, my favorite dish was

“Lightly Salted Cod, Textures Of Cauliflower”
Which as you can see was treated to a good covering of black truffle.





I also went back to Drakes in Ripley (http://www.drakesrestaurant.co.uk).I think the food that Steve is producing is among the best around, incredible flavours, brilliant presentation and executed perfectly and to boot he is a real gentleman, I am really looking forward to staging there very soon. The highlight of my last meal at Drakes was

“Pork Belly Cooked in Masterstock, Quince, Langoustine”
Awesome plate of food.



Right well I will try not leave it so long to post again. With my birthday next week and a lunch booked at Mark Poynton’s, Restaurant Alimentum I’m sure I will have something to talk about and some pictures to share.

Thank you

Remember live to eat don’t eat to live

No comments:

Post a Comment