Saturday 19 March 2022

 

Springboard FutureChef

 

This week kicked off with turning 40 and more importantly the Springboard 2022 FutureChef final at Westminster Kingsway college. Now normally this is an event I read about in caterer and follow online with Instagram and twitter, but this year I was made a Springboard ambassador and I got to judge the first heats off the South East section. I was offered the chance to mentor the winner of that heat through to the regional finals and then if successful through to the national final. As you have probably worked out already my mentor was successful in winning the regional finals which meant she was one of 12 national finalists out of the 13’000 that started this year’s competition, no mean feat. To say I was proud would be an understatement. Once she had got through the regional finals, we had about a month to prepare for the national final and had half term to deal with in that time also. To see such dedication and hard work from a year 10 high school student was incredibly refreshing and she is a credit to her school, also her teacher was brilliant in setting up practice time, helping organise all that needed doing to be in London for the gala dinner and the final the following day.

 

Final day arrived and 12 excited but nervous young people lined up for photos and introductions then it was into the kitchen to set up, after 15 minutes all mentor chefs left the kitchen and if any of them were like me, they then spent almost 3 hours just walking around trying to keep themselves occupied.

 

The 12-finalist had 45 minutes at the start to cut a whole chicken for sauté, no easy task as it’s not the sort of cut that is used a lot in professional kitchens these days but shows skill and confidence with a knife. They then had 2 hours to cook and serve 4 plates of chicken with their chosen garnish and 4 plated panacotta desserts again with their chosen garnishes. The standard of food produced by the 12 young chefs was remarkable, lots of different styles and ideas. Unfortunately, my young chef didn’t win but she gave it her all under some tough circumstances and I couldn’t be prouder of what she cooked and the manner she conducted herself in despite the obvious disappointment in not winning. I’m not sure she will go on to cook professionally but if she does the chef who gets her in their kitchen will have gained a true talent who’s drive will take them far in whatever they chose to do with their future.

 

I had so much fun and found the whole process thoroughly enjoyable, I hope to be involved with next year’s competition again and who knows maybe I will have a student in next year’s finals also as you learn a lot of from doing things again and I feel this year’s competition as given me more knowledge on the cooking competition circuit than I had before.

 

For more information on FutureChef please use link below 

https://futurechef.uk.net







 


No comments:

Post a Comment